Fun is the Fuel
"Fun is the Fuel"
by Sara Penny, CCAC Vice President (column for Iron County Today)
"Fun is the fuel", wrote Steve Magness when describing the Norwegian soccer player Erling Haaland. This is true in the arts as well. If you love the music you are playing the audience feels that and enjoys it a lot more. If you are having fun in any performance, that emotion transmits to everyone on stage and in the audience in an authentic way. Deeply felt emotions transmit. Art that connects is memorable.
"No matter what happens just smile and enjoy it. Just live in the moment," said Haaland. I remember when Xun Sun was directing the Orchestra of Southern Utah and when we were struggling with intonation or rhythm he would just smile bigger as an encouragement to get us on track. I like the advice to students that when they make a mistake they smile and then I know they realize the error and we don't have to stop for a correction.
As Magness writes, "Our image of elite performers is often one of stoic seriousness. We mistake being serious for being dedicated. They are not the same thing. and confusing them has consequences." I understand that art can also need serious focus, but there are lots of times when having fun and enjoying our art is more rewarding for everyone involved. My goal is more cooperation and minimizing competition. I like the students to celebrate each other's accomplishments rather than feeling diminished if someone else does well. In group classes and ensembles this idea of celebration builds connection and longlasting accomplishments.
"Joy is an expansive emotion," adds Magness. More joy creates even more joy for those involved in the performance. I am loving the Greenshows at the Utah Shakespeare Festival this year. It is so fun seeing the children getting involved and having such a great time. We have seen some wonderful plays already this season and are looking forward to more.
Congratulations to the America250 Iron County committee for bringing a lot of happiness to the community as we celebrate the best of America this year. One of the projects is the playlist of American music. I am still working my way through it, but the variety is impressive. What is the essential music of America for you? The playlist is on Spotify under "Iron County's America 250". Ryan Paul and Joe Howe selected the music. Folk, pop, classical, rock, and rap are represented. Some of the vintage recordings are especially interesting. The song "Strange Fruit" by Billy Holiday is definitely not in the joyful category, but it conveys the strong emotions and challenges of our history. I first heard it in Denver when I was at a national orchestra conference. I am glad they included such a wide variety of music. It is a good reminder of the energy and exuberance of American music.
As we tackle our art projects I hope we can remember to enjoy the process and find the fun and authentic emotions whenever possible.
Comments
Post a Comment